Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Angela Snapped, Edgebrook Came Alive, and I Didn't Hide

Angela snapped.


Ever since I killed one of Sable's pillars, one of its strongest characters, Angela has been depressed and really hard to write. Her new response to difficult situations is to bottle it all in instead of her usual explosions. Normally her first response to everything is Fight! But now that she's hurting she just makes her face an emotionless mask and digs her claws into her palms. 


But today she let a little of her old self out, except in a darker way... Out of the blue she started wailing in this guy (who was a complete jerk, I'll give her that) and all of the pain and rage she let out floored me-- not to mention the guy who's head she was slamming her fist into repeatedly.  I love it when my characters surprise me like that. It's a good feeling.


Edgebrook came alive.


I've been stuck in one POV (Adam's.) My instructor thought it would be best. And, crap, has it  been suffocating! It's hard for me to tell a story through just one MC's eyes, but today after a pity-party I buckled down and just let Adam tell me how it all really went down. "Screw your fancy outline!" he said. "This is how it's going to be." 


So of course I didn't argue (He's super strong and turns into a giant ferocious cat! Hellooo!) And when I turned him loose I started to get chills and my passion for this story came, like the nights I spent telling it to my sister, staying up until four in the morning because I just had to tell more! Very sweet memories, those are. 


I didn't hide. 


I went to church, led worship, and hung out with the youth group at Wendy's; not once did I retreat inside myself. I came close, but I snapped myself out of it before I could go there and it was a good feeling. It's nice feeling comfortable around people my age, I wasn't worried or skittish. I was me, albeit a slightly quieter version of me, but me nonetheless. It was great. 


Edgbrook: 11,000 words
Sable: 50,000 words

No comments:

Post a Comment